Friday, August 24, 2007

Kanye West

I keep seeing that music video from Kanye West where he basically samples the hell out of Daft Punk's "Harder, Better, Faster, Stronger." I hate it. I love Daft Punk - there simply is no band that has been able to do what they have done. This brings to mind some other bands, such as Datarock or, say, Kraftwerk. Kraftwerk is the undisputed grandfather of electronic (some would classify them as purely "kraut-rock") robotnic beats. Daft Punk, on the other hand, followed up with what I think was a classy response to electronica: a funkified slap on the back. Kraftwerk plowed the field, Daft Punk defined Discovery by owning funked out disco-tronic beats, with a propensity for poundingly rhythmic bass. To be fair, not everything Daft Punk has done kicks ass - I will save my applauses for Discovery. It will forever be in my top 10 albums. Similarly, Kanye West is producing self-destructive garbage currently, whereas his previous hits with Twista (e.g. Shake it Up) was groundbreaking.

Im tired, I hate this song, just please understand what I am saying.

Pax,

Monty

2 comments:

stephanie halmos said...

ha! that note you left me on my blog with chunk's monologue was HILARIOUS!

stephanie halmos said...

i agree. kraftwerk really did do it. its incredible how often they are sampled...you dont even realize it because too little of it gets played in social settings. although i think it should.

and as for daft punk. they are simply awesome. they make your endorphines just squeeze, stretch, and shimmy around in your body.

good stuff.